Noel Gourdin "Open" vs. Biggie's "Who shot ya?"

>> Saturday, July 23, 2011

You ever hear a song and think, "I heard that before." What song did they sample? Or have you ever wondered if your favorite old school songs were reworked into Hip Hop classics?



I awoke this morning with an email from one of my favorite websites, WhoSampled.com. If you ever wondered who sampled James Brown, George Clinton, or where J Dilla, DJ Premiere and Kanye got certain samples from, this is the site for you.

I recently submitted Noel Gourdin's "Open." Pronounced Gor-Deen, Noel is a fresh artist. If you're not up on him, you may have heard his, "The River" track.

When I listen to "Open," I instantly recognized Biggie's infamous, "Who shot ya?" But when I submitted it to WhoSampled.com, it was rejected. Here are both songs below, you decide.

"Who Shot Ya?" by Notorious BIG


"Open" by Noel Gourdin


So, am I hearing things, or did the WhoSampled.com moderator make a mistake? What do you think?



Update: 3:00pm - Cool Hand Luke of 38thNotes.com reminded me this morning, "David Porter's "I'm Afraid the Masquerade is Over" is the source material for both songs."



Do you hear me now?

I'll need to resubmit my entry.


Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP